Thursday, July 6, 2006

An Ipswich Story

Roachcover_1
Downbeat Magazine, March 1958



I have been waiting for an opportunity to post on this story. Steve Schwartz, host of Jazz From Studio 4 on WGBH-FM, writes about a heartwarming experience he had with a man he never met. The man was Mike DiMichele, an Ipswich musician who left his vintage jazz record and magazine collection to Schwartz out of admiration for his program. The Jazz From Studio 4 tribute to DiMichele aired on April 7 and the magazine's were donated to The Institute for Jazz Studies at Rutgers University. Somehow, I bet Boston hasn't heard the last of these records.



Here's a bit of Steve's essay:



"I was overcome with emotion to think that a man whom I had never met nor heard of had thought enough about jazz music and what I do on the radio to think that I would be a good repository for his collection, built up over a lifetime of playing and listening."



Such a nice story. A tribute to both Mike and Steve.



No comments:

Post a Comment