Monday, October 2, 2006

Can it be? Anne-Sophie Mutter to retire at 45 (or thereabouts)?

Asmutter_1
The last thing I want to do with this blog is be part of the rumor mill, but if this is true, it is certainly newsworthy. According to Musicalamerica.com, superstar violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, in an interview with the French-German television channel Arte, announced the date of her retirement.



"'Yes, yes, I said it. It is my plan to stop when I reach my 45th birthday,' the German-born violin virtuoso declared Sunday evening in an interview with the French-German television channel Arte. Only 43 on June 29, that would mean that her performing career ends in a little more than 20 months. 'Nevertheless, it is not the precise date which counts,' she added, giving herself some leeway, 'but rather a certain period of time at the end of which I will leave the scene before, behind my back, people dream of my retirement.'"



It would seem she is giving herself a little wiggle room on the actual date, but it does make one wonder if our November 14 recital could be her last in Boston (?!)...Unfortunately, Musicalamerica.com is available to subscribers only, and I have been unable to find a corroborating story on the web. Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment