Thursday, December 7, 2006

Hilary Hahn gets a bodyguard

Naples
Naples, bring your bodyguard



Think a classical musician's blog would be one obscure, exceedingly dull, treatise after another? Think again. Violinist Hilary Hahn's blog (she calls it a journal) is always a fascinating glimpse into her busy life. Last month she was given a bodyguard in Naples because of the mafia crime wave there:



"I haven't yet left this city, but it's probably safe to say that I've survived the mob war intact. An antique ring, a favorite of mine, disappeared sometime yesterday, much to my chagrin - but that's probably more the work of pickpockets or thieves than murderous mafia hitmen. While we were here, a 17-year-old was buried, having been stabbed seven times while trying to break up a fight in the city. Perhaps that's why we were warned away from side streets. A bodyguard was assigned to me, a tall man in black with a police badge, hair slicked back, sleek shades perched on his pointed nose. His assignment was to wait in the hotel lobby until I went anywhere, then to accompany me outside until I returned to the hotel. The city felt safe for the most part, but it was reassuring to have a protective presence around."



Read Hilary Hahn's entire post. And here is Hilary's web site from the top.



Hilary Hahn plays for us in Boston on January 12, I presume without a bodyguard.



No comments:

Post a Comment