Monday, December 18, 2006

Keillor on Christmas letters

If you're over 30 you get them every year, if you're under 30, you're probably in them. In his latest column, Garrison Keillor looks at a time-honored, often immodest tradition, The Christmas Letter:



"I get a couple dozen Christmas letters a year, and I sit and read them in my old bathrobe as I chow down on Hostess Twinkies. Everyone in the letters is busy as beavers, piling up honors hand over fist, volunteering up a storm, traveling to Beijing, Abu Dhabi and Antarctica; nobody is in treatment or depressed or flunking out of school, though occasionally there is a child who gets shorter shrift. 'Chad is adjusting well to his new school and making friends. He especially enjoys the handicrafts.' How sad for Chad."

Read all of Christmas Letter: Can I get some modesty with that?



No comments:

Post a Comment