Saturday, February 3, 2007

Daniel Bernard Roumain in the Inbox

Dbr1web

Daniel Bernard Roumain is making headlines. I set up a Google Alert for his name, as I do for most artists coming to the Celebrity Series. Well, DBR is lighting up the board every day. He is compelling for a lot of reasons: his intelligence, his work for choreographer Bill T. Jones and for the Orchestra of St. Luke's, his genre-bending compositions and thoughtful socio-political content, and, as some would have it, perhaps even a window into "youth culture" and a future of "classical music." Or at least one future for the violin. If that last claim seems overblown consider that DBR is an accomplished violinist that is bringing orchestras and hip-hop DJs into the same musical moments. If it's true that orchestral music is still chewing on its relationship to jazz, then those claiming DBR represents the leading edge of orchestral blending begin to make sense.

I have not seen DBR in concert - though I have heard recordings and seen video footage - and, like many, I am still trying to get a handle on this remarkable artist.

If my Inbox is any indication, I will be posting a lot on DBR over the course of this season. There have been and continue to be a lot of articles written about him, and I'll be reading them along with you. Here is a sample from The Morning News in advance of his appearance at The Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas:

"'To this day, everything I do is an attempt to redefine and reimagine what black music can be. I don't make hip-hop, but I respond to hip-hop. When my music is atonal, it's not because I'm trying to be like other classical music; it's because I'm trying to be like Fishbone,' he said."

Read Composer Brings Responsibility to the Table.

Fbone_2

Here's one more recent Roumain tidbit. Roumain has been named one of Crain's Forty Under Forty for 2007. Each year Crain's New York Business selects 40 outstanding individuals, who have made a major impact in their respective industries before the age of 40 - people like the President of Ann Taylor and the Director of Deloitte & Touche USA. Clearly, he isn't turning just the usual heads.

By the way, he's coming to Boston with his group, THE MISSION on March 31.



No comments:

Post a Comment