Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The New 7 Wonders of the World

Sagamore
The Sagamore Bridge



I, for one, don't mind participating in giant digressions from the problems of the world, since after reading this morning's Globe article on the New 7 Wonders Project, where participants vote to update the "7 Wonders of the Ancient World" or make suggestions of their own, I visited the organization's web site and had a look around. Despite the feeling that all of this stems from some deep insecurities (that which truly unites us all), or that it celebrates Nationalism on a grand scale, or that it will be about as fair and unbiased as the Major League All-Star Ballot, I was curious to see what my options were so far.



I found The Statue of Liberty, The Taj Mahal (that's The Taj Mahal, not Taj Mahal), Stonehenge, Macchu Picchu...not bad - but The Sydney Opera House? I would sooner vote for The Sagamore Bridge! Wait, that's good! Hmmm...The Giant Garden of Wonders on Route 1 in Saugus, The Great Pyramid of Snow at The Burlington Mall, The Mysterious Labyrinth of Park Street Station. So many possibilities...



1 comment:

  1. Please don't forget about the Leaning Tower of Pizza in Saugus, the Tidal Bore (or total bore as the locals called it) in Moncton New Brunswick, and while we're in Moncton, Magnetic Hill. In fact, all seven wonders might actually BE in Moncton.
    Thanks, Joyce. Good suggestions all. I had thought about the Leaning Tower of Garbage that I saw during the Head of The Charles Regatta, but it's since been carted away, so I don't think it counts.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete