Monday, April 2, 2007

DBR firsts

Dbr_missionweb2399x267 
DBR & THE MISSION

Saturday evening's performance by DBR & THE MISSION yielded many new things, including a most welcome surprise in the addition to the program of the world premiere of Want, by MISSION keyboardist Wynne Bennet.



Among the other firsts on the program was the first incidence of heavy metal style headbanging (three violinists in unison, hair flying) at a Celebrity Series performance that I know of (though perhaps longtime subscribers can remember some rather strange heavy metal evening with, say, Jaime Laredo, of which I'm unaware). I also can't recall ever having heard a wah-wah pedal used either at a Celebrity Series performance or by a violinist (though I wouldn't put it past Nigel Kennedy), or heard any reference, much less an extensive one, to Jimi Hendrix's famous Woodstock rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner (cellist Matt Haimovitz has played the solo, but not on our stage).

All in all, a remarkable and unusual evening. The Boston Globe attended, I'll post the review when it shows up online (if it shows up online, I never could find that Cirque Eloize review...).



No comments:

Post a Comment