Monday, March 17, 2008

Pianos take to the streets

Piano3_3





The streets of Birmingham, England are experiencing a proliferation of pianos. A total of fifteen pianos have been parked, if you will, at various locations in the city decorated with spray painted signs reading, "Play me, I'm yours." Quaint? Perhaps. Charming? Maybe. But I think we can all recognize these pianos can be a force for good (Couperin etudes lovingly plunked with not a little skill by gifted 10 year olds as Birmingham heads to work, suddenly smiling) or a tool for evil ("Candle in the Wind" played by anyone so it gets stuck in the internal soundtracks of 1500 passersby). It's up to you, Birmingham.



Here's the full story.



1 comment:

  1. I played the piano outdoors at the Boulder Farmers Market but I used my electronic Korg SG Pro x keyboard. I can't imagine an acoustic piano holding a tune or staying functional for any length of time under the circumstances that you describe.

    ReplyDelete