Friday, June 6, 2008

National Donut Day

Donut
It's that time of year after our performance season ends and before the next one has begun (we'll be in this odd purgatory for a while). Rest assured, we are hard at work on AileyCamp Boston (final performance August 7 at the Tsai Performance Center, thank you) and getting ready for 2008-2009. It is at times like these that a performing arts staff member's heart turns to donuts . . .

I'll start with the Mass Media take - it's National Doughnut/Donut Day and here is MSN City Guide article to prove it: Great Donuts: A Baker's Dozen. Ugh, a "best of" article. These pieces are only about getting us all riled up by paying inadequate attention to our local experience, like some inane talk radio argument. What I dislike about them most is how well they work on me . . .

My personal favorite in the Boston area is Ohlin's Bakery in Belmont. They don't have a web site (they are SO old school), but here is their Yelp page (I wonder if they know they have a Yelp page). I recommend going between 6 and 8 am for a little honey-dipped slab of heaven.

In the spirit of cheap non-journalism, I invite your donut recommendations, local or otherwise.

MSN's article is redeemed by it's fanatical author, Brett Stetka, with his donut obsessed blog, The Blognut.

The origin of National Doughtnut/Donut Day can be traced back to a fund raising effort in 1938 by the Salvation Army, though you won't find a reference to it on their web site. That's too bad, because I wanted to ask them why National Doughnut/Donut falls on the first Friday in June and not during the frigid winter
months when we are all covered up and can rationalize the extra fat as
a bulwark against the cold is beyond me. I'm not going to press the
issue, they probably have more important things to focus on.



No comments:

Post a Comment