Monday, September 22, 2008

Angela Hewitt in The Guardian (UK)

Hewitt_250

Angela Hewitt

The Guardian.co.uk's Alan Rusbridger interviewed pianist Angela Hewitt for last Friday's edition. Here's an excerpt:

"Angela Hewitt: . . . I learnt from books, from experience, not so much from pianists, I must say. I
listened to harpsichordists, to orchestras, to people like John Eliot Gardiner
and the early music crowd.


Alan Rusbridger: Why harpsichordists?


Angela Hewitt: Pianists often annoy me! A lot of them, I feel, don't
play it in a true Baroque style. I still listen to them of course. I still
listen to Edwin Fischer and admire the wonderful architecture he can build in a
fugue. Schiff also. I think in many ways his playing is the closest to mine. I
do think there's a way of playing Bach at the piano that is still stylistically
correct and that's what I'm looking for."

Read all of Taking Time with Bach.

Angela Hewitt performs for the first time in Boston on Sunday, February 22, 2009 at NEC's Jordan Hall.



No comments:

Post a Comment