Friday, April 3, 2009

Tenor Ian Bostridge talks with the Globe

IB

Purely from a timeline perspective, Ian Bostridge is an academic whose singing hobby has taken on a life of its own. David Weininger spoke with the tenor, who sings an all-Schubert program tonight at Jordan Hall (20 lieder, plus encores for the scorekeppers among you), for his column in today's edition of the Globe, and asked Bostridge for his thoughts on being considered an intellectual. Here is a taste of that conversation:

"'The only thing I always say is, I'm obviously a person with a sort of
academic bent to my mind and I tend to look at things intellectually,'
he says by phone from New York, the morning after a Carnegie Hall
performance. 'But I think when you're performing, performance is about
letting go and emotional identification and emotional projection to the
audience.'"

Read all of The unmistakable tenor timbre




No comments:

Post a Comment