Monday, June 11, 2007

Wild turkey at Costco, or blogging on the wing

Turkey_at_costco_2 
For those out-of-town readers whose images of Boston are limited only to wharves, quaint brick buildings and old money, I say, you ain't seen Boston, bruthah. Boston has actual 'burbs with actual mega-marts and actual parking lots (with actual parking spaces!!) - like most places. However, gentle reader, even I can be a bit surprised. I have seen racoons and even the odd skunk lurking near my quaint Northwest digs on occasion, but Boston, er, Waltham has upped the ante by having wild turkeys running pell mell through it's parking lots in broad daylight as if on some turkey double-dare (see above). I just managed to get this turkey/Yeti into the frame as he/she made tracks, lickety-split, for Lexington. Top that, East Orange.



1 comment:

  1. Are you saying top that to East Orange, MA? The place that is mid way between the super forested lands of the quabbin and the land around Tully reservoir. Not to mention abuts Wendell and Erving state forests. With one little turkey on the asphalt? OK. That is a pretty bird.
    * * *
    Hi, Christine,
    Thanks for pointing out the existence of East Orange, Mass. I knew about Orange, Mass. and should have extrapolated an East, West, North, and South version. Had I been aware of it, I'm sure I wouldn't have given the town the same playful little knock I intended for East Orange, New Jersey (where, I guessing, most of the turkeys in town are on plates). Why, I wouldn't be surprised if the turkeys in East Orange, Mass. outnumber the people (which would, of course, be just fine). Maybe in East Orange, Mass. the turkeys run the Costco and the people run around the parking lot like banshees. Come to think of it, I ought to visit East Orange, Mass. sometime...
    Jack

    ReplyDelete