Monday, December 1, 2008

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Gearing up for City Center Run

AlvAil

Alvin Ailey in 1955

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater opens its annual run at City Center in New York this Wednesday and continues through January 4. This being the company's 50th anniversary season things will be a little different. Grander. There have already been quite a number of related events and products launched in 2008. How does a set of Ailey Hallmark Cards, a Calendar, and an limited edition commemorative Movado watch and a - wait for it - Ailey Barbie Doll, sound? Well, the party is just getting started.

There was a bit of reminiscence around Mr. Ailey from The New York Times yesterday. Here is a sample:

"GARTH FAGAN, choreographer:

One of the quintessential moments of my whole life was a night at his apartment with Alvin and Romare Bearden. They were telling me about the wonders of being a successful artist of color. We were having drinks, which helped the discussion. When I formed my company, Alvin supported me, financially and emotionally, from the start.

When he was very ill, we had a Joyce season going on, and I went to see him. I said: “Alvin Ailey, you will do anything not to come and see my show. Get out of bed!” We laughed like anything. He was a most gracious man."

Read Remembering Alvin Ailey.

The party comes to Boston April 28 to May 3 at The Opera House.



No comments:

Post a Comment