Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Regenius Carter

Regcart2web_1
A pensive Regina Carter, no doubt weighing her new options

I'm sure she's been called a genius before, but the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation have made it official: jazz violinist Regina Carter is a 2006 MacArthur Fellow, and as such, will be awarded $500,000 over the next five years; a so-called "genius grant."

Though she is now a New Yorker (can a person live on $500,000 in New York anymore?), Ms. Carter spoke with her hometown paper, The Detroit Free Press about the honor:



"Q: When did you get the call?



A: Last week sometime, which was crazy, because they said you can't tell anyone. I said, 'Gee, thanks. You unload that on me and then tell me to keep quiet.' They allowed me to tell one person, so I told my husband."

Read the full text of the interview: Detroiter Carter reactes to winning $500,000 grant.

Of course, it is my duty to remind you, gentle reader, that Ms. Carter performs with vocalist Dee Dee Bridgewater on January 27 at Sanders Theatre.



No comments:

Post a Comment