Wednesday, March 22, 2006

They Play Modern Composers

8bb
eighth blackbird

Keith Powers' article on the "new music" sextet eighth blackbird hits the streets today in several CNC Newspapers, one version, here carrying the headline Eighth Note: They Play Modern Composers, is from The Somerville Journal:



"When I tell people we specialize in contemporary music," says eighth blackbird
pianist Lisa Kaplan, "they think I mean Yanni or Enya. I have to let them know
that I mean classical music from living composers."



The article also runs in the Boston Herald this week. You can hear and see eighth blackbird at Sanders Theatre in Cambridge this Sunday, March 26 at 3pm.



1 comment:

  1. In my first church job, I was told the church had a 'contemporary ensemble,' which I thought meant they played Xenakis. Imagine my shock when they pulled out an acoustic guitar and started singing insipid little melodies in unison (and out of tune).

    ReplyDelete