Monday, April 3, 2006

Terry on the Hot Seat

638terrygrossweb
Do you know what the host of Fresh Air looks like?

Just found a link to this 1998 interview/profile with Terry Gross from Salon.com on Terry's Wikipedia page. This is interesting not only because Terry will join Ira Glass at Symphony Hall on Sunday, April 9, and that the event is the Celebrity Series debut of both people, but because Terry gets interviewed for the piece and we get a peek at her reaction to being on the other side of the microphone. On April 9 she'll be back to asking the questions, although bet on Ira Glass to get a few queries in edgewise...

Here's Boston Phoenix (and Fresh Air's) classical music critic Lloyd Schwartz on Terry as told to Lori Leibovich:

"I didn't meet [Gross] until about a year after I started doing the show, but I loved her voice -- it is real, with a very distinct timbre that didn't sound like she'd been to broadcasting school. I had a very vivid image of her, of someone very tall, with dark short hair, very bright eyes and a very sensuous mouth. When I finally met her, I was surprised. I liked what she looked like, but it was quite different. And it wasn't until I met her two or three times that my old image faded. There is something about her voice that goes to the imagination -- that even the reality of meeting her didn't erase the image."

Complete Article



No comments:

Post a Comment