Monday, October 23, 2006

NHK, Ashkenazy and Grimaud at Symphony Hall

The use of the Symphony Hall organ for the finale of Elgar's "Enigma Variations" had been much discussed pior to the arrival of the NHK Orchestra. For those that did not attend the performance, you should know the NHK did use the organ on Friday evening and it did sound wonderful, especially from my perch at the back of a packed second balcony.



I have to confess that I felt an affection for those concertgoers up there sharing the oxygen-depleted air with me. They are a hearty group: they not only pay (and we are grateful for their patronage), but they make the treck up several flights to their seats, and then lean forward throughout, elbows on knees, with rapt attention. They deserve orchestra seats, but I think they know better. I often feel like we are sharing a secret up there on the heights, one that I will share with you now: the sound of an orchestra from the second balcony at Symphony Hall is sublime. Some of you will forget this secret and that's all right, seating is limited...



Ashkenazybetween
"I love La Mer, it is a miracle."



Vladimir Ashkenazy conducted the NHK Symphony Orchestra (and for the last time, think "NBC Orchestra of Japan") on Friday, two stops away from the end of their US tour. The Maestro was an entertaining backstage presence, mimicking the tuning horns (cheeks puffed out like Harpo Marx, or maybe Danny Kaye) and pacing, it seemed more with excitement than nerves. Striding back after Debussy's La Mer, he exclaimed to no one in particular, "I love La Mer, it is a miracle." And then, arms raised, "Now, Elgar...big heart, warm heart." And he walked briskly back onstage.



Grimaudsign1



Grimaudsign2



Grimaudsign3
I was backstage for most of Hélène Grimaud's performance of Brahms first piano concerto. Her performance was well received and she signed books and CDs until the last of a very large throng went home happy. It's irrelevant to what she does best, but she's both lovely and gracious. I shot few photos of her at the signing, as you can see, but I can't make her look the way J. Henry Fair can make her look. Not in that light.

UPDATE:

I almost forgot, the encore Friday night was Gabriel Fauré's Pavane in F-sharp minor, Opus 50.



No comments:

Post a Comment