Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Notes on Hatto-mania

Nhatto20b
William Barrington-Coupe

I never met Joyce Hatto...have nothing against her...what her husband did is dismaying, disheartening, disreputable, disingenuous, distasteful, and disgusting, and apparently/supposedly it was done largely out of love and compassion...what her husband did makes me wonder if anyone else has ever done what her husband did...



I didn't want to add to Hatto-mania (but I guess I am) because so many others are covering the fiasco so very well. But I do want to pass on two items: 1. One needn't wonder about the authenticity of live performances (hint) 2. If you want to know how many or which recordings have been unmasked, the wikipedians are keeping a tally.



UPDATE: Wondering what the Sam Hill this post is about? Follow this link and catch up.



1 comment:

  1. I have trouble believing in the existence of Joyce Hatto. It seems possible that the story is a hoax; if not, please help me by answering these questions: why is there no mention of her in Schwann Artist; why are her recordings not in Schwann; why, if one Googles her name, is there no discography, only references to the news story? If one Googles the name of any recording artist one comes up with a discography. I have heard that Richard Dyer reviewed a recording of hers; has he confirmed this? In other words, who has actually handled a CD of hers? What hard evidence verifies her existence?

    ReplyDelete