Friday, October 12, 2007

Dame Kiri talks about the big "R" with the Globe

410w
Dame Kiri Te Kanawa

Those of us that assumed that Dame Kiri Te Kanawa was "retiring" from singing to pursue her twin hobbies of fishing and clay pigeon shooting (as far as I know, not mentioned during her Globe chin wag, but true nonetheless) must think again. The Boston Globe's David Weininger spoke with Dame Kiri by phone about the "R" word:



"'I think it's been unfortunate that [it's being presented as though] this will be the last note I'll sing in my entire life,' she continues, adding that she's leaving the door open to doing charity and fund-raising concerts. Nevertheless, she's firm that these are her last appearances on US stages. 'I'll never be back to America except to see my friends,' she says, 'and to shop.'" Read the full article.

Aside from opening the 2007-2008 Celebrity Series season (hooray!), I would say her words clarify the significance of the New Zealand born soprano's appearance in Symphony Hall on Sunday nicely. The concert begins at 5pm. I think you need to be there, don't you?



No comments:

Post a Comment